Tuesday, September 1, 2009

WOO HOO!!! ... And Not-So-Woo-Hoo.....

The Good News:

Guess what?! I'm Miss February for Bombshell Stamps!!! I know...it's a LONG time to wait...but considering it was my very first DT application EVER, it's cool that I managed to get on the team at all! I've been doing the happy dance since I found out...and am so very thrilled!

(The Bad News:)

On the downer side, I applied for The Greeting Farm's Fall Gardener Call... and didn't make it. Oh well... In November-ish there will be another call...and I'll try again then! For the application, they wanted one of your submissions to use a 'Circus' theme. I always think PT Barnum when I think Circus, which most often leads me to think about his FeeGee Mermaid (you know, the one that turned out to be the top half of a mummified monkey sewn to the tail end of a mummified fish. Ew.)... Anyway, I thought I'd make a cuter, not so gross version of a Mermaid Tank, especially since the TGF Mermaid Anya stamp is Emily's favorite... Here it is:

So... what we all know remains true: I'm a terrible photographer. At least, for now. (Come on boys, GET MY HOUSE DONE!) Other than that, I'm really happy with how my Mermaid Tank turned out! I got a wooden shadow box (roughly 5X5) at Dollarama, and painted it all up - which I think turned out decent, considering I am by no means a painter! Then I added some sand in the bottom & some skittles (aka dew drops)...and a couple skittles attached to the glass for air bubbles. I put a coat of Mod Podge on the glass to make it look wet, and I think it did a pretty good job of achieving that effect. Mermaid Anya is up on pop-dots, too - I didn't want to fiddle with string/fishing line/whatever. There are also a couple pearls in her hair & she is coloured with Copic Sketch & Atyou Spica pens. The little plaque is actually done using the SU! Modern Label punch. I punched a piece of black CS, painted it gold, and while it was still wet, I 'engraved' the letters. If I had nicer writing, this would have looked better, but I'm going to be taking this one off & putting something else on there before I give it to Em anyway. Last but not least, I added some peel-off stickers to the corners, to give the tank that elaborate gilted look... I guess it's not 'Circus-y' enough for TGF, but I sure am proud of it!

(Oh yeah, and Congrats to the folks that did make it... Can't wait to see what you did!)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to stop by & check out what I've been up to; I'll be back a little later in the week with 2 or 3 Sketch Challenge entries, and a box or a bag.

xo, ~S~


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and always taking the time to leave a comment. You know as a blogger it's the lifeblood of our blogs!
    As for entering the DT call...just keep trying. You do great work and as it evolves, it will get noticed more and more...keep doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG~! Congrats!!!! Love your bigger bio photo on the Bombshell site. Emily looks like you...?
    I'm sooooo happy for you.
    Oh yeah... I went to a local stamp store today and looked for the "charms", but they only had stuff like, cooking utencils, or sewing/knitting stuff. No hot stuff like we want. I'll keep looking, heehee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!